Tuesday 19 July 2011

Antonio Banderas and Pedro Almodóvar

My blogging has been intermittent, to say the least. They say that to increase your traffic you must do it daily, so here goes...

Today. Writing a piece about Pedro Almodóvar and Antonio Banderas. Interviewed them together in Madrid a couple of Sundays ago for the new film La Piel Que Habito (The Skin I Live In), adapted from the book Tarantula by Thierry Jonquet. Out here Aug 26. Indescribable, perverse kidnap yarn, verging on horror story. Was a favourite at Cannes, but then Pedro has never been anything but at Cannes. Ant'n'Ped both excellent fellows.

Save for the odd exception, like What Have I Done To Deserve This, I always found his his early films a bit patchy. Sometimes just a bit tooooo gay for my taste. Sometimes lacking in focus. The 90s films, his Victoria Abril period, weren't the greatest. I was on the Madrid set of Kika in, what, 1993 I think. Pedro was a generous host, especially as in the middle of filming, but I think that film must be his nadir.

However, I think the stuff of the last ten years or so has been tremendous, from All About My Mother onwards. I watched most of them again recently on DVD. I believe Talk To Her to be his masterpiece (Oscar for best screenplay). Truly haunting film. Quite brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment